Friday, May 25, 2012

Tips for a Successful Herb Garden

Those of you who like cooking (or eating great food, for that matter), will appreciate the great flavors fresh herbs provide.  Running to the supermarket for fresh herbs every time you need a bit just to spice up a recipe can be a drag. There is also the problem of what to do with the rest of the herbs, once you have used enough for your particular dish.  The solution to the fresh herb dilemma is easy: plant an herb garden.




Herb gardens are not only functional, but ornamental as well.  The two key things to a successful herb garden are plenty of sunlight, and adequate watering. If you give them these two,  they will provide you with fresh herbs in abundance. Of course, you will need to continually harvest your herbs, and find new and exciting recipes to use them.

Here are some of the plants from my own herb garden:


Sage has beautiful silver leaves and is 
great with meats and in sauces and soups. 
It needs a lot of water to thrive.

Rosemary just needs sun. Watering helps, but this is a plant 
that would hang on even if completely unattended. 
(Though I am not suggesting you do that.)

Lemon verbena: this is one of my newer plantings, 
but it seems to be doing well. Lovely scented leaves.

Oregano: If you like Italian food, this herb
should be a kitchen staple.

Mint needs plenty of sunshine, and when it thrives, 
it is up to you to keep up with it, or it takes over. 
Try it in sauces, or putting a few leaves in lemon water.

Thyme is one of my favorites. Besides being great in many foods, 
you can use it between stepping stones, or a borders in your garden. 
I have three varietals on this picture.

Parsley- the trusted old friend to add to soups, roasts, potatoes. 

I like lavender for its silvery foliage and lovely scent. 
Surrounding it is mint.

Dill is another favorite, adding subtle but distinct flavor 
to sauces, meats or salads. I grow them from seeds 
that I harvest and dry as my dill plants age.

Basil- my sweet, sweet basil. Great in salads, sauces, and of 
course there is pesto. Nip off the flowers and cut back regularly. 
I root the cuttings in water, so by now I have basil all over the yard.

Tarragon- a new favorite.  I have a great soup 
recipe featuring tarragon that I will post soon. Next to it 
is the lemon verbena and one of my many basil plants.


So here it is, my herb garden.  If you would like to know more about individual herbs, just ask. Happy cooking! Aloha.

1 comment:

  1. That’s a good way to fill up the cracks –grow plants on it and make it appear as an intended home design! Green is actually very refreshing to the eyes. Plus, its scent also has a calming effect which helps create a wonderful ambiance in your garden. Good job!

    -Katelin Mccaig

    ReplyDelete